Monday, September 7, 2009

Gotta love peasant food

Let’s just get right down to business, no?

So Mon and Tues are my favorite days of the week because I get the mailers for Vons, Henrys, and Pancho Villa’s. What that means is that I go through everything and decide what’s on sale and make the menus for the week. What that also means is that I get the opportunity to make due with things that most people never eat.

This week was one of the more interesting weeks; I saw Tripas de Leche at Pancho’s for .99 cents a pound. Tripas? Milk tripe? I’ve had tripe but what the hell is tripas de leche? After a little research (yay Wikipedia), I found out they were the tube connecting the stomachs of cows that still haven’t been weaned off milk. An intestine. As you all know I’m down to try anything….twice. Thankfully, so is Karen. Zenden is frankly too young to know what he’s eating, and will hopefully have the same attitude about food as his parents as he gets older.
Anyway, back to the tripas…Here is the pic of me cleaning them. I just held open the end on ran water into it and out the other end.




After doing a couple I realized that they were braided together.



After cleaning, I threw them in a pot and simmered until tender.


While that was going on, I made a wonderful homemade tomato sauce





Here's another couple just for the gross out factor





After all that, chop and then combine with the tomato sauce




Simmer for a while and serve over white rice and top with parmesan cheese



Family eats and is happy!




Turns out it was awesome! Way better than expected. It was extremely tender and kinda milky tasting with extremely mild liver undertones. It was a winner and will definitely be made again.


6 comments:

  1. Blog looks good. I love how you're totally willing to cook anything. Some day I may be so daring, I've just got to get better at the whole cooking thing. This meal sounded potentially nasty but of course you pulled through and made it delish - or so you say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say that your page picture is nasty. I feel like hurling when I see it so I try to scroll down past it real fast. From Jeff...the previous is from Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a culinary inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo! Gross! White rice! What possible excuse can anyone have for eating empty-calory, insulin-resistance-producing white rice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. When we see you again you'll have to make it for us. (I'll buy the rice.) (We'll try not to tell Carolyn what it is.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.P.S. What came out the other end?

    ReplyDelete