Saturday, September 19, 2009

40

I think I really love being almost 40. I’ll be 40 in January in fact.
My whole life I’ve looked toward getting to be this old with a sense of fear. Now that it’s almost here, I really like it. It allows you to get away with stuff that I couldn’t when I was younger. My body for example, I can finally walk around without a shirt on. I will never have washboard abs, but who cares, I’m 40! That doesn’t mean I can let myself go again and become a fat slob, it just means I don’t have to worry about comparing myself to 25 year olds.

I love the wisdom being 40 carries with it. I finally feel I know what things I need to worry about, at least more so than when I was 30. 30 is when you officially become an adult, 40 is when you know how to act like an adult. So nya, nya, nya 30 year olds. Ooops.

I love waiting until recently to have a child. I was able to get all the partying and a lot of mistakes out of the way before bringing Z into the world. Because of this, I have more time to devote to raising him properly and better knowing what kinds of trouble he may get into (since I was still getting into trouble up until the day he came along).

40 means that Karen and I have been living together for 16 years. We’ve been officially married for 11, but I consider us married from the first day we moved in together.

There are plenty of other things I could say, but not now, for now I’m just happy to be at a point in my life where I AM happy.

p.s. Someone in my class told me she thought I was 30. THAT’S the best part about being 40 ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I enjoy being lied to, also. Used to bother me. That's an advantage of being 70!

    ReplyDelete